The holidays are all about the cooking the classics. I'm sharing one of my favorite holiday recipes, Latkes, with a twist.
We traditionally serve these during Hannukah (which starts tonight for the next 8 days), but my all-veggies version is something I make year-round and are impossible not to love! You can customize them with your favorite vegetables.
My version of latkes this year are a healthy take on the traditional potato pan-fried classic. I was definitely creating and experimenting this time around - some combinations were incredible with really well balanced flavors, and some weren't as great, or a bit too dry. The best combination of ingredients were of shredded veggies that were both super hydrating and a little bit starchy, which definitely helped to bind everything together without using excess oil or breadcrumbs. Feel free to swap egg for vegan mayo, or cauliflower crumbs for traditional breadcrumbs or almond flour etc..
Zucchini, Squash + Sweet Potato Latkes
GF / Vegan options
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3 large green zucchini, sliced down the center lengthwise with the middle section of seeds scooped out (this keeps them from getting soggy)
- A handful of shredded carrots
- 1 medium sized shredded sweet potato
- 1 small-medium sized butternut squash shredded (no seeds)
- 2 tablespoons of cauliflower crumbs or another GF crumb or flour (I used Cauli Crunch here)
- Garlic powder
- 2 eggs or 2 tablespoons of vegan mayo
- Combine all veggies in big mixing bowl + mix together
- Add crumbs + mix
- Add eggs or mayo + mix
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, pepper + cumin
- Mix together and with clean hands create small round + flat patties (if ingredients aren't binding together easily, add a bit more egg or mayo, however the combination of zucchini + squash should help create a shape easily)
- Add to air-fryer for 15 min at temperature of 360 degrees
- Or add to oven at temperature of 375 for 20 min
- Let cool and serve with your favorite dip like tahini, applesauce, or hummus
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 3-4 large white potatoes, like russet potatoes
- 1/2 of chopped white onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs or your choice of flour
- Peel + shred potatoes
- Mix together in bowl with onion, 2 eggs and crumbs or flour
- Let sit for 15 min and drain excess water (so that they come out more crisp / less soggy)
- Add pepper
- Add to air fryer for 15 min at 350 degees, and if you like them crispier put back in for 3 min at 370 degrees, watching closely
- OR pan fry using avocado oil at medium-high heat (avocado oil or olive oil is a healthier option that canola or sunflower oil), watch closely and flip after 5-7 min until cooked
- Enjoy with your favorite dip!